Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Still bagging them!

As we head towards the end of another year, I am pleased to note that once again has it grown, my pile of travel sickness bags. I began collecting them back when, and I put the collection on-line in 1994. Now I have well over 200 different species, so there's no reason for me to panic if I feel a bit queasy.

Some of my precious...






I still do my best to frequently end up in a seat where I can add to my collection, but I'm also greatly assisted by my traveling friends, often turning up in unexpected places where interesting creations are located in the seat in front of them.

Here are some of my fairly recent favourites:
  • A "Hill Sickness Bag" from Indian Himalaya. The curves on the road up from Chandigarh to the hill station Shimla are many and violent. I do recommend going on the train instead. The bends are only marginally less dramatic, but the velocity is lower. Also, there's a much smaller chance of your vehicle ending up flying down off a cliff. But if travel sickness bags is your thing, going by bus is the only way.
  • The air sickness bag from Yeti Airlines in Nepal. Just the name of the airline is good enough reason to love it, but if you turn the bag around, you'll find a sari-clad tikka-wearing woman in the process of demonstrating how to use a barfbag. "Kindly use this air sickness bag in case of vomitting during flight. Thanks!"  No subtleties, it's just the way we like it!
     
  • A personal travel sickness bags from a kit with stuff you need when you travel by plane; thick, wooly socks, an eye cover, ear buds and a travel sickness bag neatly packed into a small envelope. "If an upset stomach is anticipated, remove SIC-SAC from this container and keep ready for use. Do not be embarrassed by this precaution as even veteran air travelers are subject to occasional motion sickness". This can be ordered in large numbers from the Allied Aviation Supplies Co., Box 75013 Farley Station, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73147, USA.
  • AeroGal, which isn't quite as sexy as it may sound, but just the airline of the Galapagos islands. They have a marine iguana in their logo and call themselves "the intelligent airline". It's so tiny and cute that I had to put it on this list.
  • Iran Aseman Airlines. It may or may not be pronounced Assman, but it's funny in other ways as well. They still operate using the Boeing 727-200, an airplane model manufactured from 1963 to 1984. Since Iranian companies are not allowed by the USA to buy new American planes, they just have to keep their old things flying. Barfbags from this company may quickly become rather difficult to find.
That's all I have for you today, but don't worry, there's bound to be some even more exciting news regarding travel sickness bag coming this way, sooner or later!

No comments: